Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cybex Arc Trainer Tried to Kill Me

I woke up at 6am with the expectation of hitting the gym early and getting my planned 8 mile run in. I looked outside and there was a surprise 6 inches of snow on the ground....talk about disappointing, it was supposed to be 40 degrees. I was expecting the snow to be melting not more added on. So I threw on a pair of old sweat pants and headed outside to scrap off my car. On my way to the car I slipped on some ice and put a nice Enno shaped butt imprint in the snow....luckily nothing injured but my pride.

Once I finally managed to make it to the gym about six hours later I stepped onto the treadmill and immediately felt some strange twinges in my right hamstring...uh, oh this wasn't going to be an easy run. After several miles with on and off stretches of my hamstring I figured that it would do more harm than good to keep running so I decided to hop on a piece of equipment that I had never been on before....the Cybex Arc Trainer!

It was beautiful and I eagerly jumped on and picked a Hill workout for an hour. I don't really know what I expected, but what I didn't expect was to be breathing heavy and sweating my ass off 10 minutes into the workout....Holy shit I was not going to make an hour! This was torture....it was like a cross between riding a bike and running up stairs and jogging...odd, but it essentially worked every muscle in my lower body all at the same time. I made it roughly 33 minutes and vowed about 20 minutes in to stop eating completely if I never had to step on this device from hell again.....no cookie or piece of cake was worth this kind of cardio pain.

In the end my whole workout ended up sucking. I'm thinking my body is trying to tell me it needs a rest day. We'll see how tomorrow goes and evaluate the rest of the week. Gotta make sure I'm rested enough for that 29 miler....*gulp*.....I just need to keep my fingers crossed that the weather outside is runnable.

No comments:

Post a Comment